Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Gratitude

I really want to thank my fabulous Canadian crew for all of very caring comments and emails these past few days. It means a lot to know that you all care so much and that you are keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. It is easy to believe that once you are out of sight you also inevitably fall of out of mind, so I am very touched by all of the kind words that I have received.
I am posting a couple more pictures that I took while we were in Vidor last week.
As you can see the Chevron station has lost it carport roof. I am very thankful that I wasn't there to see it fly off and land on the other side of the street, though it is very fortunate that it fell where it did and not in the middle of the road. This is a feeder road and and on-ramp to the I-10 so it would have prevented anyone from getting on the interstate if it had landed on the road.
In our part of Texas there are pine trees everywhere. And normally it is a very beautiful thing to have all of those tall pines looming overhead, but as you can see with a storm like this pine trees were snapped in half like matchsticks or ripped out of the earth and sent tumbling either into to the ground or into people's homes.
This is a common scene all around Vidor right now. And as much as it saddened me to see how much damage our home received seeing homes like this forced me to stop feeling sorry for myself and thank heaven that we didn't get hit this hard. It is still hard to deal with our own losses, but when you look around and see how much everyone else got hit with it really makes you thankful for what you still have.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear that you guys are still surviving...

when you need a chuckle check out the latest post on Peter's blog...there's a pic of his butt....seriously!!!

Kim:)

And this in no ways means that the pic of Peter's butt is what makes you chuckle...sorry Pete!

10/05/2005 4:21 PM  
Blogger Magdalena said...

Oh, I have seen Peter's new entry ... in fact I commented on the original post in its pre-butt stage ... which he promptly took down and changed.

What I am not chuckling about is being a part of this so-called harem ... I am a writer too and just because I don't sign my name, Magdalena Altnau Writer doesn't mean that I should be shoved into some harem somewhere. I could of course threaten him with my 6'1 strong husband ... but I am too much a of a lady to stoop to physical violence. But one day soon, when I am a famous published author and photographer he will only wish that once upon a time he had the sense to recognize my talents!

So, I will survive this hurricane and I will survive people's lack of faith in my talents and I hope to do it with grace and style.

10/05/2005 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

typing one-handed here bouncing istra at the computer... just wanted to let you know how grateful *i* am that you and chris are okay.

*hugs*

10/07/2005 10:16 AM  
Blogger Magdalena said...

I forgive you Peter ... and thank you. By the way, I did find your post very funny, in both its pre-butt and butt stages. And a little tidbit for everyone ... today it is freezing in Austin! I am talking cold windy fall weather and I *so* excited about it!! I wish I had a toque ... though not yours Peter, sorry, you understand I am a married woman :)

So ... today I am grateful for the weather, it feels like home and fall is my favorite season and I was sad that I was going to miss it this year. It sort of feels like it is just for me :)

10/07/2005 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magda, I hope the fall continues through this week so you can remember all of us Canadians shivering over our Turkeys!

I wish you and Chris a very Happy Cdn Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for many things, one of which is your continued safety.

Enjoy the "fall" while it lasts.

Love love love,
Kim :)

10/07/2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger Franny said...

I am so glad we got to talk the other night. Call me anytime babe. I love you lots and worry about you all the time.

10/08/2005 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home